Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tucker, our Booger Fish

First off, thanks to all my readers for what I consider a successful first post. I was touched by the interest in my blog. I was not expecting it. I hope you all continue this journey with me.



I've decided that in order to know me a little better, you should all meet my booger-fish. My husband and I adopted a dog named Tucker one week and one day after our marriage. Tucker is anything but boring. He's the epitome of the word  bonkers. As he is my baby, he will most likely show up in many of my posts. 

According to his records, he is a Shih Tzu Poodle (Shih-Poo) mix with a large black spot on his back. My husband and I feel he is more like a Havanese since he portrays traits and characteristics associated with that breed. We termed him booger-fish shortly after he came to live with us. I don't remember the particulars as to how we came up with that name, but I'm sure it had to do with his mischievous ways.

Tucker loves his kong cozy's (an awesome toy if you own a big chewer). They have a squeaker in them which he thinks its fun to squeak until one of us steals it and throws it down the hallway. He also enjoys playing outside, especially when he gets to chase rabbits (though he isn't always good at spotting them). He enjoys sitting upon the highest point in the house whether its atop our bed or atop the back of the couch. But his favorite past time would be licking our feet, therefore, we warn all guest that unless they want a foot bath they should wear either A) socks or B) shoes.

On the random occasion that I give Tucker a bath, he begins to race around the couches bounding from couch to couch to fireplace in a fast pace race. He does this in attempts to avoid the terrible evil brush. Another strange quirk that belongs to our booger fish is the way he gets our attention. He does this in one of two ways: 1) He barks at us and pushes his back paws behind him or 2) He jumps on top of us from the top of the couch. I think he waits until I'm perfectly comfortable laying on the couch before bounding on top of my stomach. We love Tucker and wouldn't trade him for anything.

Through my experiences at work one of the things that our patient's talk about the most are their pets. I love to hear their stories about what kind of animals they own, their names, and how special the animals are to them. I remember one patient talk about how her dogs were what got her through the toughest times of her mental illness. There is something special about animal companionship. Tucker has gotten me through a lot of tough times, and I don't know what I would do without him.

If you own a pet, I hope you take a minute and give it a big hug and show how special it is to you. Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not utilize words that would cause your mouth to be washed out with soap. And in the words of our ancestors, if you can't say anything nice don't say it at all.